The Good 'Ole Box Elder County Fair has been this past week- and this is my first year not attending- While it isn't a big deal to many others but my LOVE for the fair started at a young age. My first memory of the fair is the big rides and watching my older sisters with their 4-H projects. As soon as I was nine it was my turn to enter my first 4-H sewing and modeling contest- which would continue every year through high school. My mother is an amazing seamstress that taught us very well. While I hated working on my project all summer- I couldn't help but love to walk into the building and see a BIG rosette ribbon for Top Model- Top Construction- or most of the years Top Overall- which meant State Fair. When I was nine it also meant I could enter fruits and vegetables- not necessarily for the ribbons but for the premium money- because that was our ride money for the fair. My love continued through the years doing Horse 4-H and doing the pre-rodeo performance, showing my lamb and 3 steers.
The parade is of course very distinctive from catching all the candy when I was little- to being in the parade for 4-H Horse club, soccer team, FFA, Dairy Princess, FFA Adivsor Intern- lots of parades in my book.
My reign as County Dairy Princess which was the busiest fair of my high school years.
Once I was done with high school my fair days weren't over quiet yet. I was lucky enough to be a State FFA Officer and travel and visit other county fairs and the an Intern for Box Elder & Bear River FFA chapters for 2 summers and got to do all the background work of the fair, clipping 10+ steers, weighing pigs and sheep every other week in preparation, judging contests, weigh in, tagging by far the most tiring week when you help put it on.
While it isn't the end of the world missing my first fair- I can't but crave a good fair burger- the home town rodeo and watching our close friends ride and hope they placed high in their home town and seeing the little kids' faces on the rides. So eat a fair burger for me and hopefully I'll be able to eat one of my own next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I feel for you. We went to the rodeo Thursday and Friday. We usually only go once, so one time we can pretend was yours. Friday night before the rodeo Wes was raking the arena and got out in the middle and took off all his clothes (underneath was flesh colored spandex and a pink speedo and pink cape) it was hilarious. I was too slow with the camera, but I thought of you guys during his "performance" Maybe Ill go back sometime today just to have a fair burger for you. Braydon doesnt like the fair, but i have dragged him out the past 2 nights. Hope you are doing well!
Dear Gus and Daniel, you are not the only ones who are missing the fair this year. Oh how I would love a great Hambuger and some real gressy fries and maybe a big scoope of ice cream, on top of a large piece of apple pie. Well next year wil be diffrent.
Thanks for your love an respect for our freckles. He will be missed but not forgotten by the whole family. some goods things and yes some not so good . But that was our freckles. Love MOm and Dad
Post a Comment