"What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories." --- George Eliot

April 28, 2011

Day 14 of Calving

Before 7:00 breakfast they had pull 2, 100+ pounders and got a heifer out of the mud and pulled her calf too. No babies died during the night, a good day to start out.

A beautiful day today, Cinch and I couldn't handle staying in the house. We were out and about all morning helping Daniel and checking heifers.

I spotted a cow in desperate help- she had her back downhill trying to push out a HUGE heifer calf. When I saw her, she looked like she was dead a bloated- not a good sight.
While Daniel and one of our intern's Sage, got her turned uphill I ran and got the chains to pull the calf out. Well, the poor mama couldn't get it out past the hips, it took 4 guys taking turns pulling to get it to that point. After stretching, pulling, twisting it wasn't going to happen so the mechanical calf pullers came into play- and finally they got the calf out. Mama wasn't too happy after it was all over (I can't really blame her) but as of tonight both mama and calf is recovering well.
Made me feel usful for the day besides cooking.

This afternoon, one of the other cowboys on the ranch ran Cinch & I into town to pick up the work truck that was finally fixed!

Meals for the day
Breakfast
Usual Breakfast Buffet

Lunch
Nachos with Ice Cream Sandwiches

Dinner
BBQ Chicken, Funeral Potatoes, Green Beans, Salad

**This group of vet students are not consistent with their eating. Some meals they wipe me clean and others they they hardly touch. Can't decide if they are picky or just don't like my cooking. The last group cleaned me out every meal-- Oh well!**

1 comment:

Erin Rupp Bowcutt said...

Jess I love to read your blog it reminds me of PW's blog. :)ranch life, food, photos. It looks like you and your family are enjoying life.
ps I would love it if you shared some recipes along with your menus;)always sounds yummo!