"What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories." --- George Eliot

August 15, 2010

Family Branding

July 20th was the Family Branding here on the Ranch. While family members are present at all of the other 13 brandings- this one is mainly for the kids. No neighbors are invited just employees. It was a small herd only 400 that took a little longer than the cowboy usually do 900- but it didn't matter because memories are made and the little ones learn. The cowboys work the ground mainly and the kids and wives get to rope.
It was a way fun day since Cinch & I only made it to 5 of the other brandings because they leave too early in the morning.
Cinch was heaven and soaked up the day.
He helped Daniel wrestle calves.
And ride cavles.

Was initiated into the club the bigger boys made up.. Hopefully next year he'll be able to keep up a little better with them.
Well and then he started teasing the teenage girls and I really didn't see him to much after that.
He actually left us for them- a good thing even if he was flirting and teasing a little too much! But he was in heaven, he would help them wrestle the calves and they would help him ride the calves after they were branded. I bet he rode probably 50 head that day.

And I even roped and it was documented. Yes I can rope- but i usually falter with other people watching, when it's just me and Daniel I can get the job done. I've only roped at my brother's brandings before this point so it was a BIG step. And to make myself feel a little better, I was the only wife that roped that day and drug my fair share of calves to the fire.
Cinch loves to tease our Foreman Mitch-- and Mitch loves it. Mitch is waiting for his own grandkids, maybe one day he'll get his own. But for now he is just a big tease.
And, the owner of one of the coolest set of spurs I've seen in a while.

After the branding we went to Cowboy Jesse's house to eat lunch since it was his herd we branded, which was great because he has 2 little boys Cinch's age- they play together in Nursery so played dump trucks and diggers in the sand..

No comments: