"What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories." --- George Eliot

July 04, 2013

A Hometown 4th of July

Like usual we were headed home the beginning of July for the Baxter Annual reunion. We had planned to leave on the 5th, but Nebraska just doesn't know how to throw an Elwood 4th of July. I told Daniel I wanted to go to my hometown celebration. The one I'd gone to since a toddler. The one I participated/won in the parade, bike race, dunking machine, candy drop, trap shoot, breakfast, lunch, and fat boy dessert. My childhood! My parents helped start the Elwood Celebration years ago, it's dear to my heart.
When people ask what holiday we celebrated most in our families, my answer was always the 4th of July.
I didn't know if we would actually make it in time. I knew for sure the fireworks on the night of the 3rd were out of the question, but I wanted to be there the morning of the 4th. 
We committed and then found out we were moving in less than 2 weeks. Daniel was on a mad dash to finish projects to leave our camp sparkling clean and tight fences for the cowboy that would follow us. Finally at 4 pm the afternoon of the 3rd we pulled out for the 10+ hr drive. I hoped the kids would sleep since it was going to be a night drive... but they didn't. But pulling into Elwood, seeing the "lights" of home. It was worth all the crying and screaming.
The 4th of July festivities didn't let me down either. 
A scrumptious breakfast, kids parade(the next generation), candy drop, family and friends.
I think the "Elwood" 4th of July is still my favorite holiday and melted my heart watching my kids do what I did, and with their cousins.

Baxter Crew for the parade. 
Candy drop! Yes small towns still do this! 
Can you spot Cinch in the crowd. 
A friendly push for Hazel to run faster! 
Nothing like your girl cousins dunking you 
We enjoyed a greasy hamburger, chips, pop and a Fat Boy!!
And my nieces held up the family honor at the trap shoot.
Another favorite was that Cinch had found the climbing hill that I climbed up and down for so many years hidden in the trees all by himself.
The festivities continued at my parents home; visiting, slush, water fight- initiated by Grandma Dixie none the less, playing at the peak and watching the Brigham City fireworks on the Archibald's roof.
So thankful we live in this wonderful country!


No comments: