The last Saturday in April we made a big loop of a drive- down to SLC to run errands, Heber City - to return my brothers dinning table & chairs they had let us borrow - and then back to Ogden for some returns at Target.
Since we were in Riverdale- I decided we should drive up to my Grandma Redman's home in South Odgen to show Cinch- and well probably see if for the last time. My Grandma hadn't lived in the home for 2 years. We moved her to Assisted Living March 8, 2008 and she died March 10, 2010- No coincidence I am sure. While I had been to Grandma's house since she had moved out- this time was MUCH different- it made things very real- that Grandma was truely gone.
I took Cinch out back to show him the gate that opened us Country kids into a whole new world of City kids- Just across the road was the best play ground and the tallest slide a little kid could ask for. Now days there is a new fire department building and the play ground doesn't exist- and I don't think I'd dare let little kids go over them by themselves- but back in the day the world was different- I loved it when Grandma would tell us we could go to the park and play.
I remember pulling up to this back door many of times- and well the custom cement step stool to get you up to the back door still stands. Inside Sugar Cookies would be waiting to be made, marbles played with, books read and many more exciting adventures.
I only went down the stairs once while Grandma was still alive. The downstairs held the history to her life and sorrow- shut away in cluter and closed doors that she didn't want to re-open. In high school me and my friend Dude(Ashlee) ventured down these stairs to explore- we had only been down there not even a mintue and Grandma started down the stairs to look for something- she never went down stairs- It scared me my life and I am sure Dude didn't know what to think either- luckily Grandma didn't come all the way down and we were saved. We quickly retreated back upstairs- without our exploring expedition.
The one of a kind mail box. Cinch tried to put his Woody toy inside- which he would have loved if could of been on the other side of the door to retrive it. But Grandma would always let me get the mail as it drop through this slot- into a compartment in the wall- magical to a little girl.
And Grandma's Steep Driveway. On the trikes or roller blades- you could get wicked speed down this thing. Cinch had a great time running down it- if I had only had a trike we wouldn't have gotten him to leave. Look where our truck is parked- thats where the SWEET BelAir I got as a Christmas Present sat all my childhood- not driven. It was a 1969 if I remember right and well wasn't driven for a long time- but I remember it there as we would roller blade around it and Chuck's van parked next in Line.
This was probably the last time I'll visit 515 Diana Street- but the memories will always stay strong- as my older sister Barbie put it best our Magical Fairy Grandmother lived here.
No comments:
Post a Comment