"What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories." --- George Eliot

May 20, 2012

Bountiful Baskets

For the past almost 3 months I've been on a mission.
A mission to eat healthier without spending a fortune. I can honestly say my only grip about Nebraska is their produce quality and price. (I've even learned to enjoy the snakes)

For example- I can easily spend $20+ dollars on a head of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and apples.
Ridiculous!
When we lived in Utah we participated in Bountiful Baskets and I knew there had to be a way to get it in Nebraska- I just didn't realize how much work it would be.

I contact them and they set me up. I would need to train at another site 3 times but 3 phone trainings and get things ready for it to come to Alliance.

Doesn't sound too bad until the closet site is 3 hours away. But I knew the gas would be paid off once I could get produce cheaper and help the community- these days we all need help to eat healthier!
I started training the middle of March in Custer, SD.
The first training Daniel kept the boys at home all Saturday, the 2nd one we all went so we could Daniel to a Priesthood session and the 3rd training we all attend since we had stake conference in Rapid City, SD the next day.

Since the middle of April I have been patiently waiting to have our site go live/open. Its been really hard because for 6 weeks we had fresh produce that I had gotten from the Custer site- and now we've been back tracking and I can't bring myself to spend so much money at the grocery store.

We should finally be opening this upcoming weekend. It's been a hassle to find trucks/distributors for Western Nebraska and all the supplies- but we are excited and so is our Branch and Community. I have over 70 email addresses of people wanting to participate and another site opening an hour south of us.
It's been hard but so exciting I can only wait to see how fast it will spread in the surrounding towns- they have it easy they can train with me not drive 3 hours.
If you haven't tried Bountiful Baskets- try it! If not enjoy your cheap groceries in Utah and ID.

Cinch being silly on one of the long drives.
Some of our yummy produce
A cool bridge we would see
The highlight of the trips- The Wind Caves and the Buffalo

2 comments:

Magen said...

Good for you! I hope your site does well, what a blessing to have for your family. I've been running a site here in Price for 2 years now, we love bountiful baskets. Good luck with the new site!

Bonnie said...

Congrats on the fresh fruit! That is the best part of B.B. well and the fresh tortillas!